Monday, February 13, 2012

QR Codes strange looking symbols


I've noticed these strange looking little symbols all over the place lately, but until recently, I didn't know much about them.  They are called QR(quick response) codes, and have been described as "bar codes on steroids".  

Originally developed by a Japanese company to track automotive parts, these little designs can store up to 4296 alphanumeric or 7089 numeric characters depending on the level of error correction applied(not sure what that means).

Recently I was reading a magazine in the waiting room at the doctor's office, and an advertisement for a new baby product caught my eye.  Attached to the ad was a QR code and a note explaining to scan the code with a smart phone.  Knowing I had some time on my hands, I downloaded a free app and snapped a pic.  Immediately I was directed to the website for that baby product.  Rather than having to enter some long, complicated URL, I just scanned this little symbol and poof!  How cool was that?!  

Ok, so I'm easily amused... Anyway after that, I did a little more reading about the QR code and learned that companies have been using the QR code regularly in advertising since 2009. 
 
In addition, the Android Market has a free app that allows you to make your own QR codes.  You can create a personal message for your special someone just in time for Valentine's Day! Find it at the link below.